Thursday, September 20, 2012

Value Portraits!



1. Explain the process you went through to develop your drawing.

-We first went and took pictures of ourselves in black&white so we could see the different dark and light color in the picture. We then traced the basic shapes of the faces, then also traced the values in the person's face who we were drawing. We then transferred the drawing onto paper and went on to complete the outline and shade the rest of the values.

2. Explain how you found the different values in the portrait?

-We took the pictures and transfer paper and held them up to light from a window. Then we traced the basic values, both dark and light. The face ended up looking a bit like a butchered pizza, but after careful shading, and a bit more sketching, it turned out quite well!

3.  Did you achieve a full range of the different values within your portrait?  How?

-Earlier that week, we made a portable value chart which we got to use for reference during the project, which was very helpful.  I think I could have added more darks to my portrait, but other than that I think it turned out pretty well.

4. Describe your craftsmanship.  Is the artwork executed and crafted neatly?

-I think I definitely could have neatened up some edges during the process, and made some contrasts more defined. I also could have spent more time making sure to include all of the various values. Overall, I think it was fairly neat and well put together.

5. List any obstacles you had to overcome and how you dealt with them.

-When I was coloring the back of the tranfer page, I made it way too dark to the point where I couldn't see the lines on the other side of the paper I needed to trace. To fix this, I had to hold it back up to the window while I darkened the lines and then transfered it.

1 comment:

  1. The drawing is almost stylized. This is not a bad thing. For this assignment I would like to have seen more values that defined the edges of the face. You have strong outlines that took some of the impact away from the values. This is a great start and with more practice you will have an amazing portrait. It does look like the student! Your self evaluation was descriptive and insightful. Reflecting is very important for growth and you have that.

    ReplyDelete